Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Girl Who Could Fly by Victorial Forester


This was recommended to me by one Stephanie Meyer on her website. I don't usually read her website, but she was the one who recommended The Hunger Games, so I thought maybe her other recommendations would be worth looking in to. The book is what Meyer calls a mix of Little House on the Prairie and X-Men. A farm girl from middle America discovers she can fly, after she shows off her talent, she's taken away to a secret learning facility.

I liked the book, mostly. It was suspenseful, and exciting, and funny, and feel-good. It's juvenile fiction, not that there's anything wrong with that... I just found it sort of... simple. And, there were some parts where I found myself saying, "I've read this before, except it was a movie, and it was called X-Men." But, the plot took some interesting twists, so it ended up being it's own story.

The verdict: A good read for a plane ride or something. I finished it in about 5 hours.

2 comments:

Chad said...

Remember that movie about the boy who could fly. But no body believed him. And how the girl next door would catch him standing on his roof at night. I think this book ripped that off. I remember that the dude that played the boy was also the guy that played the robot boy on those disney made for t.v. movies. Man, what were the called?

Unknown said...

book's awesome