Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


Who's reading it? We bought our copy on Amazon, so it came to our house on Saturday. I suggested that we could read it together, separately... It's how we've read a number of other books. You sit side by side on the couch, and both hold the book open to the page you're on, with the intervening pages straight up. The only downside is that you get a crick in your neck. Anyway, Tyler didn't want to do that with this one because he knew I'd read the whole thing while he was at work, so he insisted we read it out loud to each other. It's a little slow going, although I just looked and we're on page 235. Not bad for only two days.

Oh, when it came in the mail, Tyler looked at Lillian and said, "Ok baby, you can't cry for at least a week."

7 comments:

Bluebell said...

I stayed up late last night to finish it. It was killing me to try and space it out between getting things done for our move. I figured we would all be happier if I had finished it and come back to my normal self. Austin, who is a saint, took the kids to the library and then played with them in the basement all evening so I could read alone. I thought it was a fantastic read, and very satisfying to have all loose ends tied up.

Caitlin said...

AHHHHHHH. 100 pages left!

Caitlin said...

Just finished. Amazing.

Usandthings said...

Spoiler alert:

So why does Voldemort think that he's so super special in finding the room of requirement when obviously many, many other students have found it and put things in there?

Caitlin said...

Was he the first? Did he create it to hide his "stuff"? I can't remember, it has been to long since I have read any of the other books. Also, I didn't care for the "baby under the chair" metaphor.

Caitlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caitlin said...

Found all of the info on this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locations_in_Hogwarts

Included in the description of the Room Of Requirement "It is also revealed that the Room of Requirement can modify the current version without leaving the room, though should it require a completely different version (wanting the Room of Hidden Things instead of DA Headquarters) the room must be empty."

Maybe the room appeared empty to Voldemort. If it wasn't empty then maybe he assumed that the diadem would be thought of as junk just as all of the other stuff in there was considered. However I find it a stretch to think that Voldemort should be so careless with a piece of his soul. I am going to assume that he really wanted a secure place to hide it and that is how the room appeared to him.

Ah, the finer points of Harry Potter.

PS I know that there should be two 'o's in the word too instead of just one which is what I typed in my previous post.