Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Marie Antoinette

When I saw a preview for the new Sofia Coppola movie about Marie Antoinette, I couldn't have been more excited. If you haven't seen the preview then here is the link. The movie comes out this Friday (I have only been waiting for 5 months). As I looked into the movie more I read that Coppola based her script on the book by Antonia Frasier called "Marie Antoinette: The Journey". I was slightly worried that the book would read very dry and boring, but I couldn't have been more wrong. It was a fascinating and heartbreaking story about a 14 year old girl thrust into a marriage as a political pawn. I couldn't put the book down and I was able to relate to her as a girl and as a mother. It also dispelled a lot of the myths about her. One of these myths was the fact that during a protest of hundreds of starving peasants, she never uttered the phrase "Let them eat cake". I am so excited to see this movie and to see the book come alive. The film was shot on location in Versailles, what could be better than that? OK, I have gone on long enough. Just read it already. PS- Another interesting fact-her marriage to King Louis the XVI wasn't 'consummated' for SEVEN years!

2 comments:

Bluebell said...

Oooh, that sounds like a good book. I'll have to add it to my list. I almost bought it yesterday but asked Costco to leave my cart while I went to meet Austin. Then when I came back it was gone! And it was the only copy I could find. Alas. I'll have to order it or something. You'll have to let us know how the movie goes. Austin and I almost *never* go to the movies but we occasional rent one. Especially now, I know no one, so who would I leave my kids with?

Caitlin said...

BTW- I saw the movie. More nudity than I thought was allowed in a PG-13, slightly slow, great soundtrack, amazing costumes.