Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Tipping Point

I saw Malcolm Gladwell on Oprah publicizing his new book Blink. He was saying some pretty interesting things, especially about the Implicit Association Test developed by researchers at Harvard and a few other universities. I took the test, and turns out, I'm prejudiced. But Mr. Gladwell's point is that most people are. Anyway, I tried to borrow this book from the library, but they were booked up for weeks, so I decided to borrow his other book, The Tipping Point which book mom had brought to read the week she stayed with me right after Lillian was born. It's a definite conversation piece, as I'm sure my husband is tired of hearing about things like transactive memory and why Sesame Street is successful at teaching children how to read.

If you liked Freakonomics, you would like this book.

As a completely unrelated side note: Tyler is reading the Percy Jackson books. He's on the second one and we were both reading quietly before bed when he says, "I'm not sure I can read this book anymore... Look, (he reads) 'We were traveling at 25 knots per hour'! Knots per hour?! That's as bad as saying 'We have been traveling for 10 lightyears.'"

Just in case there was any confusion, my husband is a nerd.

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

What are the chances of me starting to read "The Tipping Point" on the Sunday of the week you blogged about it?! It is a sad fact that this is the second book I have started read since my second child was born. Finding time between 2 is a whole different ball game. But that is neither here no there. I learned a lot about the theories in this book and how to apply them in my public speaking class and I also have found it very interesting. Have you finished it yet?

Usandthings said...

I did finish it, and I really liked it. I'll probably get Blink from the library as soon as it is available (probably in a couple months).

Allison said...

I read The Tipping Point and Blink and liked them both. They're the same genre. I've noticed at Borders quite a few books written in this style. I like it.